Next week we take some time to get down to fundamentals for physicians on Accountable Care Organizations (ACO’s).
Specifically we’ll address:
- What are they? Absent regulatory guidance, we have primarily a 30 thousand foot view with some pilot and demonstration exceptions.
- What are the known or proximal models to date? How are they structured?
- How will ACO’s impact medicine and my practice in particular? Is this Medicare and Medicaid only? Or will it impact the private market?
- Why are ACO’s seen as a centerpiece in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act? Why the optimism?
- What ‘go to’ resources are available, including related industry experience garnered from HMO’s, PPO’s and prior integrated delivery systems, to facilitate my education?
- Why do ACO’s hold promise for taming the thirst of a seemingly insatiable health care financing and delivery ‘non’ system?
- What does ‘physician leadership’ look like during the ACO consderation process?
Your advanced comments and questions are invited and welcome.
In a prior post, we supplied links to 3 timely and informative reports that are worth reviewing, click here for access.